Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Shamu, Say It Ain't So!

My family and I traipsed through Sea World-San Antonio last week. Oh, to be a kid again! I found myself saying often, "So this is what my parents went through!"

Of course, Sea World is nothing without Shamu. We built him (or her?) up to our kids for weeks. We sat down in the "splash zone" eagerly waiting for the rain of terror. I remember the first time I met Shamu, The Killer Whale. Mesmerized. Terrified. I hated him. I loved him.

Imagine my surprise when the Shamu show opened with a schmutzy video about anything being possible if I just believe. What? I'm hear to see Shamu, The Killer Whale. Bring on the testosterone! Shamu and friends were then paraded around to Kenny G music like ballerinas. They'd castrat...I mean, tamed Shamu, The Killer Whale! (Please, no one tell me he has been a she all along). He's now nothing more than Flipper in an orca suit. Where's the fear and adrenaline that gripped me as a kid? Send Bud and Sandy for some real heroes or give me a refund!

Speaking of Sea World, Dale Ralph Davis has written some very helpful OT commentaries for Christian Focus Publications. Commenting on Joshua 10, Davis unleashed this insight I couldn't help but post:
"The popular image of Jesus is that he is not only kind and tender but also soft and prissy, as though Jesus comes to us reeking of hand cream. Such a Jesus can hardly steel the soul that is daily assaulted by the enemy. We need to learn the catechism of Psalm 24. Question: Who is the King of glory? Answer: Yahweh, strong and mighty! Yahweh - mighty in battle! (Ps 24:8). We must catch the vision of the Faithful and True sitting on the white horse, the One who 'judges and makes war' in righteousness (Rev 19:11-16). No mild God of soft Jesus can give his people hope. It is only as we know the warrior of Israel who fights for us (and sometimes without us) that we have hope of triumphing in the muck of life" (Davis, Joshua: No Falling Words, Focus on the Bible, p82).
"Reeking of hand cream". . . classic! Maybe that's why Shamu smelled so good.

No comments: