Friday, January 20, 2006

Don't Be Mean

Last Monday I received a call from a gentleman who recently moved to town. He and his wife migrated from North Carolina and were struggling to find a church. He asked some pertinent questions to which I responded to his utmost satisfaction. He eventually and painstakingly wrested from me words like "conservative" and "traditional." We talked for 6-7 minutes about our ministry and I was excited that he was excited. Then came what I now know to be the litmus test--"What verson of the Bible do you use?" I told him and . . . click. I thought to myself, "If that was the deciding question then why didn't you lead with it!" We could have saved much time and dancing if we would've gotten that out of the way first.

All that to say: have your convictions, defend your convictions, enjoy your convictions, but just don't be mean and a jerk about it. This gentleman was not a very good "evangelist" for his Bible translation. I hate to think what a unbeliever would think about his gospel.

3 comments:

Stephen Morse said...

Isn't that the truth? The whole KJVonly approach just seems to be done with some form of bully mentality. That's exactly what I think of when I am speaking to some of them in this area.
What about some form of social etiquette?

B.J. Maxwell said...

Indeed. But, I suppose we should be careful of the same mentality when speaking of/to those of an Arminian persuasion. We Calvinists have been known to bully some folks from time to time. Maybe that phone call was as much about me as it was him? Now, you've got me all messed up.

Stephen Morse said...

Haha! I wrote about Calvinist etiqutte last week. Check it out if you've a mind to at www.throwtheword.com. Its the post about baby Calvinists being shackled.