Monday, March 06, 2006

Jars of Clay's "Redemption Songs"

I'm not a huge Christian pop music fan. In large measure because it's more 'pop' than 'Christian.' However, I have thoroughly enjoyed Jars of Clay's latest CD entitled Redemption Songs. I am thankful to my wife for getting me the CD for Christmas. Redemption Songs is Jars' collection of familiar hymns that will definitely enlarge the soul. They retain the main tunes (or whatever you music folks call it) of the hymns, but with tasteful enhancements. In fact, they invited the Blind Boys of Alabama in on "Nothing But the Blood" and "On Jordan's Stormy Banks I Stand." For those of you growing up around Memphis blues better get the fried chicken ready for those. And, "Ill Fly Away" with Sarah Kelly will simply make you dance (I never thought I'd say that; I've become my parents!). So you pastors shut your doors before you embarass yourself or get fired.

Anyway, I'm hardly one for music reviews. But while I'm listening to this CD I thought I'd recommend it to you.

(Oh, I just caught myself dancing to "Nothing But the Blood" so better keep the shoes on for that one, too. Man, this chicken is good.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great CD, and probably some of the best work JoC has put out.

If you haven't already, Barry, you should check out the hymn offerings from Indelible Grace and Red Mountain Church . . . they take largely unknown or forgotten hymns with rich lyrics and write new melodies for them. Great, GREAT stuff. We use a lot of their music during worship at Grace Central, as a matter of fact.

If I were to suggest one particular disc to get first, I'd say Red Mountain's Gadsby Project.

B.J. Maxwell said...

Thanks for the skinny on Red Mountain, Rae. I had not heard of them. May God bless your ministry at Grace.